LOCAL EVENT CALENDARS
We’ve put together a list of some of the area’s best attractions. When possible we have linked right to their calendar. There’s so much to do in the Laurel Highlands you won’t know what to pick, but we know you’ll enjoy your stay.
- Seven Springs Mountain ResortSeven Springs Mountain Resort, located in Seven Springs, Pa., is the perfect place for family vacations that create lifelong memories. Each year the family-friendly resort hosts more than one million overnight and day guests who enjoy a vacation that includes the adrenaline rush of the Laurel Ridgeline Canopy Tour, the exhilaration of sporting clays, the stunning beauty and challenge of its mountaintop golf course, the ultimate in relaxation at the luxurious Trillium Spa, the finest skiing and snowboarding that Pennsylvania has to offer, a variety of dining options that range from fresh unique creations at Helen’s Restaurant to the variety of delicious buffets offered at the Slopeside Dining Room to the quick fix options like pizza and sandwiches to satisfy any craving. Also enjoy summer chairlift rides, alpine slide, mountain biking.
- Hidden Valley ResortHidden Valley Resort, located in Hidden Valley, Pa., provides a beautiful getaway any time of year! The Hidden Valley Golf Club presents a spectacular 18-hole championship course with tree-lined fairways nestled among native Mountain Laurel. Built along the natural fall lines of its mountaintop home, 30 miles of vistas capture the dramatic landscape of the surrounding countryside. The Trillium Spa at Hidden Valley offers an escape from the stress of everyday life with a relaxing spa menu featuring manicures, pedicures, massages and more. As a winter destination, Hidden Valley is the ideal winter destination for families. With 26 slopes and trails and two terrain parks on 110 skiable acres and a first-class snowsports school, Hidden Valley offers a comfortable environment to learn to ski or snowboard.
- LigonierHistoric Ligonier Valley is a “Small-Town Charmer.” Steeped in French and Indian War history at Fort Ligonier, the town is filled with more than 70 specialty shops, restaurants and places to stay. The Ligonier Valley Chamber of Commerce hosts special events year-round from Icefest to Antiques on the Diamond to Fort Ligonier Days. The scenic valley which surrounds the town is the site of Idlewild & SoakZone – voted “Best Amusement Park for Children in the World,” as well as Compass Inn Museum, Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, Linn Run State Park and many others. Ligonier hosts free Sunday Evening Band Concerts on the town diamond from Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Big bands, community bands and more. Bring a lawnchair and enjoy an evening of music in the diamond.
- OhiopyleOhiopyle, PA is a small community in the Laurel Highland mountains of Fayette County. The name Ohiopyle was derived from a native american indian word “ohiopehhla” meaning white frothy water. If you love the outdoors, Ohiopyle is your kind of place! Ohiopyle State Park offers hiking and biking along the 135 mile Great Allegheny Passage. Relax and enjoy fishing, try Rock Climbing or just relax by the rivers edge. Ohiopyle is family friendly offering many activities such as camping and family rafting trips as well as educational lectures. Visit their events page to find events in the Ohiopyle area. There’s a lot happening around Ohiopyle, PA.
- Powdermill Nature ReserveThe environmental research center of Carnegie Museum of Natural History – Powdermill Nature Reserve is located just a few miles from us here in Rector, PA. It is 55 miles southeast of Pittsburgh in the Appalachian Plateau Province of Pennsylvania. At Powdermill, wildflowers, trees, songbirds, and salamanders can be examined by eye, ear, magnifying glass, and camera. The world-class research programs at Powdermill, including the renowned bird banding laboratory, take advantage of the biodiversity of the Allegheny Mountains. Offering summer camps, classes, tours, seminars, lectures, exhibitions, hiking trails and more, Powdermill Nature Reserve is a must see stop while you are in the area.
- Idlewild and SoakZoneWhether you go to Idlewild & SoakZone amusement park for the adventures, rides, events, shows or splashes, you’ll find everything you need to have a fantastic day!
Adventures – At Idlewild, you’ll experience Pennsylvania attractions like never before. Skip through Story Book Forest, where dreams and Story Book friends are real, and get ready for the all new trolley ride, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood – new for 2015!
Rides – Combining the best children’s adventures and local attractions near Pittsburgh, PA, there truly is nothing like a day spent at Idlewild & SoakZone filled with laughs, memories, great places to eat, and family-friendly rides.
SoakZone – Enjoy a day of water park fun at SoakZone! Twist and turn down the Pipeline Plunge or go head-first on the Hydro Racers. And if you’re looking for a place to relax, grab a tube and take a float down the Float Away Bay.
Shows – While Idlewild & SoakZone is home to the best family-friendly attractions for kids near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, our in-park kid’s shows can’t be missed. Be sure to bring the little ones along!
- Laurel Highlands Visitors BureauThe Laurel Highlands Visitors Bureau website is a one stop shop for almost everything Laurel Highlands. There are things to do, places to eat, things to see, what to do and more listed on this powerful website. If you can’t find what you need on individual sites we’ve listed, visit the LHVB site to see just about everything there is to do within our entire area. This beautiful area of Pennsylvania offers something to do in every season for everyone, indoors and outdoors. Wineries, cultural centers, parks, eateries, amusements parks, bars, restaurants, you name it, you’ll find it here.
- Greendance Winery and Sand Hills BerriesThis place is a hidden treasure! When you enter through rows of maples you’ll think you’ve gone to heaven. The grounds of the winery and the orchard with apple trees, the meandering paths and gardens out on the patio look like something you’d visit while on a grand European vacation. At the winery you can taste wines, visit the gift shop, make wine purchases to go or to enjoy outdoors on a nice day. On weekends enjoy live music outside in the garden. The berry pies in the second shop are some of the largest and freshest pies you’ll ever come across. Take a stroll around the property where you’ll see livestock, manicured gardens, and the beautiful rolling hills of the Laurel Highlands. A charming and lovely experience, a must see if you are in the area.
- Ligonier County MarketThe Ligonier Country Market is located on the Loyalhanna Watershed Farm near the intersection of West Main Street and U.S. Route 30 Ligonier. The Market is open from 8am – Noon every Saturday from mid-May through the first week of October. Open Rain or Shine! With an average of 130 Vendors per week, you’ll find all kinds of fresh picked produce, a wide variety of flowers from annuals to perennials to fresh cut arrangements, straight from the farm beef, poultry, cheese and eggs, along with specialty breads, pastries and hot cooked foods, honey and maple syrup, handmade crafts including jewelry, purses, country crafts, pottery, wood items, pet items, dog treats, candles, soaps and much, much more. There is a different special guest every week! Check it out – you will not be disappointed.
- Saint Vincent Summer TheatreIn 1969 the curtain rose for the first time on a unique dramatic adventure; the Saint Vincent Summer Theatre situated on the campus of a Catholic Benedictine college and founded by a Benedictine monk, Father Tom Devereux, O.S.B. The theatre has endured for more than forty years and has offered scores of college students the unique opportunity to work with theatre professionals in all aspects of the theater. Thousands of lives have been enhanced by Saint Vincent Theatre’s positive impact on the artistic life of the college and surrounding community.